Alternative Nursing Career: Nurse Entrepreneurship
By LeaRae Keyes, BSN, RN, PHN, CCM
There has never been a better time for a nurse to become a nurse entrepreneur than right now. Nurses are able to sell their services and expertise in ways that didn't seem possible in the past. Some of the businesses that nurses are creating include: legal nurse consulting, case management, wellness coach, life care planner, patient advocate, sexual assault nursing, and inventor. These titles are only a few of the businesses that nurses are creating. The opportunities are only limited by the nurse’s imagination, his/her ability to identify an eager target market, and the nurse’s ability to sell to this eager market.
Many nurses want to be in their own business but just don’t know how to get started. At www.nurse-entrepreneur-
network.com you can get a free downloadable “Checklist For Starting Your Nurse Entrepreneur Business” by signing up for the free weekly tips. If you decide you don’t want to receive the tips it is an easy process to remove yourself from this list. For those of you who might like a brief overview I will list a few of the steps that are important when you start your own business. These steps are as follows:
· Decide on a product or service
· Determine your business model (how you will make money with your endeavor)
· Identity an eager target market
· Verify that your target market will in fact buy your product or service
· Confirm at what price points your target market will purchase your product or service
· Establish a legal structure for your nurse entrepreneur business
· Register your name for your nurse entrepreneur business
· Obtain a tax identification number
· Create your nurse entrepreneur business plan
· Develop your nurse entrepreneur marketing plan
· Determine your criteria for hiring and using the services of the following professionals:
o Insurance Agent
· Evaluate how you will finance your nurse entrepreneur start up
· Create your web presence
· Now it’s time to begin selling your product or service!
Don’t let fear keep you from getting started. Every day you delay starting your nurse entrepreneur business is an opportunity lost.
If you want even more ideas on starting your nurse entrepreneur business check out the Nurse Entrepreneur Network at www.nurse-entrepreneur-
network.com. You can sign up for free weekly tips. If you choose to become a member of the website, I am sure that you will find lots of useful information including the 12 month sample marketing plans. Wishing you success as you pursue your best alternative to traditional nursing!
Submitted by LeaRae Keyes, BSN, RN, PHN, CCM who is the Executive Director of the Nurse Entrepreneur Network, a subscription website for nurses in business or nurses who want to be in their own business. Ms. Keyes provides coaching and information for nurses and nurse entrepreneurs. Check out her nurse entrepreneurship blog at http://nurseentrepreneur.wordpress.com/
With over 25 years of experience in sales, marketing, product development, intrapreneuring, and entrepreneuring she helps budding entrepreneurs start, develop, and grow their businesses. If you would like more information about the Nurse Entrepreneur Network or the services offered by LeaRae Keyes visit http://www.nurse-entrepreneur-