3/1/14

Love Letters To A Nurses Soul: Called vs. Capable

Dear Nurse,

Last year I attended parts of the Women Living Well Conference online. In one of the videos your calling vs capabilities was discussed. Karen Ehman explained that we can be capable of many things in life but our time is better spent to doing what we are called to do. 

Regardless of your beliefs this is a universal principle. We as human beings are so fascinating; able to do amazing feats especially under pressure.Yet when we live our lives doing everything we end up doing nothing. I have struggled with this before and sometimes fall off the wagon. For instance, I love serving in church but in what capacity? I am truly a free spirit and like to step in when and where help is needed at a moments notice, not necessarily doing the same task on a regular bases.My husband is the opposite of me.You can see him week in and week out protecting the children that come to church on Sunday. Me on the other hand you might find praying for someone one Sunday right when they ask, recording the church's history through written words, holding a baby, or encouraging someone on Facebook. 

The point is neither way is better,just as my spouse and I are different so are we as nurses. Some Doctors, entrepreneurs, writers, actors, and speakers just to name a few. How we choose to live our lives are examples of the calling. What gets you going in the morning and you think about long after you should be asleep? That's what you are called to do! Focus on that and you can't go wrong. Also I must mention the need to compare. We are each fearfully and wonderfully made, no need to compare your journey to another. If we were all the same this world would be pretty damn boring. What are you called to do? What do you need to say no to although you are capable of doing it in order to fulfill your destiny? 

Love,

Kimberly


P.S. Today I'm doing a book event at my Alma Mater the University Of South Florida. In honor of this milestone I am offering you a special discount today only for my debut publication "What They Didn't Teach You Or I In Nursing School: Lesson Learned Outside The Classroom." Enter the code: 
D4VCP8ER when you order through my createspace online bookstore. You'll get the book for just $10.00 and enjoy a wealth of inspiring, encouraging,and practical information. Shipping and handling still apply. And remember when the clock strikes 12 this deal will no longer be valid.Thank you for your support and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment